Victoria’s Waste and Resource Recovery Infrastructure Plan (SWRRIP) identifies the area bound by O’Herns Road, the Hume Freeway, Merri Creek, and the boundary of 481 Cooper Street Epping as the Cooper street ‘hub of state importance’. This area has a long history of waste related activities, quarrying, and landfilling, and the SWRRIP seeks to ensure that appropriate waste and resource recovery activities can be carried out within the Hub into the future.
Council has undertaken a review of the lease arrangements for Council owned property within the Hub at 480 Cooper Street and 335-355 O’Herns Road Epping, to ensure that use of these properties supports the intent of the SWRRIP and contributes to our Whittlesea 2040: A place for all goal of a Sustainable Environment and related outcomes.
The review process sought expressions of interest from across the waste and resource recovery industry and assessed all submissions against the following criteria:
- Maximise resource recovery in the region, reducing quantities of waste going to landfill.
- Reduction in greenhouse gas emissions.
- Support for innovation and focus on best practice standards.
- Increased employment opportunities for residents.
- Benefits to Council and community.
- Contribution to the City’s future vision.
As a result of this review Council adopted a resolution to lease:
- Part of 480 Cooper Street, Epping (lease areas 1 and 4 at approximately 14.5 hectares) to EcoDynamics at an annual rental of $40,000 plus in-kind benefits for a term of ten years with an option of ten years.
- Part of 480 Cooper Street, Epping (lease areas 2 and 3 at approximately 11.5 hectares) to Repurpose It for an initial term of ten years with an option of ten years, at an annual rental of $300,000 for each year of both terms plus “in-kind” benefits.
- Part of 335-355 O’Herns Road, Epping (lease area 2 at approximately 10.2 hectares) to Aurora Construction Materials at an annual rental of $42,000 plus in-kind benefits for a term of ten years with an option of ten years.
- Part of 335-355 O’Herns Road, Epping (lease area 3 and 4 at approximately 27.8 hectares) to Repurpose It for an initial term of ten years with an option of ten years at an annual rental of $50,000 for each year plus “in-kind” benefits.
The use of these properties will not change as a result of the new lease arrangements, with activities carried out for over 15 years to continue into the future.
How to find out more
If you have any questions about this Council resolution, or the activities to be carried out under these leases, please ask Council through the Contact Form below by 5:00 pm, Wednesday 23 June: